Thursday, April 16, 2015

Back to school?

Well I did it. I applied for college again here in FL. I'm nervous yet incredibly excited. I know I will be accepted and I will be starting in the fall. I need to do something with my life, not just for myself but for my family. I have my Bachelor's in Psychology that left me with $20,000 in student loans and not a thing to show for it. I can't get a job without a Master's and to be honest my heart and passion just isn't in it anymore. So I applied at a local community college to get my degree in Veterinary Technology which I should have done to begin with. I worked as a Vet Assistant for 5 years through high school and part of college. I LOVED IT. Why I didn't pursue that path right away is beyond me. I don't know what I was thinking. I just completed paperwork to get Ripley into daycare on base. I know there will be a wait list but hopefully the stars align and things work out. I've been doing the whole stay at home mom thing for 6 months and while I love being with my daughter and watching her grow I just can't do this forever. I need to get out of the house. I need to get back to school and do what I am passionate about or I am just going to regret it. By the time I get back to school Ripley will be almost a year and I'm pretty sure I can take a few classes online so she won't need to be in daycare all the time for at least a couple years until I get my degree finished. I want to be independent and I want to make my money to help with the finances. I also want to save lives. I hope to eventually get a job at an animals shelter again. That was the most rewarding work I've ever done. 
It's going to be hard. I know that. I have no family, no real support system or help here so it's going to be a challenge. I will probably miss some classes due to a sick kid. I will probably be over stressed at times as I try to balance a marriage, school, and a baby. I accept these challenges and won't let it get in the way of what I know I was put on this planet to do. I will succeed and I will not fail. 
I cannot wait to start this new chapter of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! Finding your passion is important in a marriage, especially when your spouse is in the military and so much choice is removed from your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it!! I hope it isn't too much of a challenge, since it's something that you love! So crazy that you're the second person I know with a psych degree and no use for it. I was SO close to do psychology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you! That's so exciting, and I wish you the best of luck. I grew up in daycare, and I loved it and have sweet memories there. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...