Friday, February 13, 2015

Sick Puppy



My poor puppy Penny had a little mishap with her anal glands a few nights ago. First, we noticed she was licking at her rear end a little more than usual. We looked back there and nothing was out of the ordinary so we didn't really think anything of it. The next day she was still licking so we looked and now there was a hard bump that wasn't there the night before. At first I thought it was some sort of bug bite. She spends a lot of time outside sunbathing in the backyard and we have a lot of spiders here so that crossed my mind. Throughout the course of the day the lump got bigger and it turned black so I called the vet and made an appointment for her the following day. Since she was licking at it non stop, we went to Petsmart and got her a cone (pink of course) so her licking wouldn't make it worse until she could see the vet in the morning. Late that night before bed I checked her again and now there was no bump just a hole draining fluid. That's when I knew she didn't have a bug bite but instead it was an abscessed anal gland and it had just popped. I worked at a vet clinic for 4.5 years so as soon as I saw that little hole it hit me that it was an anal gland rupture. 
We brought her to the vet early morning, it was in fact what I thought it was. The doctor sedated her, flushed out the gland, put antibiotic ointment inside, and cleaned out the other one which he told me was only a few short days away from bursting as well. $275 later my pup is home, happy, no longer licking at her bottom, and on the road to recovery. She was sent home on antibiotics and has to be rechecked next week. 
She has never had issues with her anal glands before. She is going on 5 and we've never had to have them expressed. They've always done it on their own. She also didn't show any signs that they were bothering her, no butt scooting, and no licking until they were already super full and infected. I guess we will just have to have them checked periodically from now on!
I am so glad she is ok but this isn't the best time for this to happen. First, we are moving to Florida in a week and she needs to be rechecked one more time after this coming week. So we will have to find a vet right away and get her seen when we get there. Next, we are moving so money is very tight. I had to use the emergency credit card to cover her bill because all our money is tied up in this upcoming move. Lastly, my dog's aren't allowed to get sick or hurt because it just makes me too sad. 
I wish that last part were true.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds ridiculous, but we bought the pet insurance through Banfield. Our love muffin has chronic worms and ear infections. This past year, we saved close to $400 in the random office visit bills with her $20 a month policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very glad to hear she is on the road to recovery! Hope your move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...