Sunday, November 2, 2014

Meet Ripley! (Birth Story)

Ripley Ann
October 30th, 2014
7.5 lbs
20 inches
**Warning. I will be writing about her birth story. Giving birth has some gross TMI moments. I'm not here to sugar coat things so read at your own risk! 

My official due date was October 28th. I had a Dr appointment that day and when I was checked my cervix was soft and I was 2.5cm dilated. My OB didn't think she would be coming that day and I was feeling fine so I didn't think she would be either. The next day I was antsy so I baked two loaves of Pumpkin Spice bread, cleaned up the house, and overall tried my best to stay busy. I was so anxious to get my baby out but also SO nervous because I have never had a baby before, I didn't know what to expect and I hated not knowing when she would come. Labor could happen at any second! 
The night of the 29th I wanted to work on speeding things up so aside from walking around a lot, I bounced on my exercise ball. It was also suggested that sex may be linked to bringing on labor so we tried that. About an hour or so later I started feeling a bit of cramping but I shrugged it off thinking I was probably just having Braxton Hicks again which were common for me late at night. 
I hadn't been sleeping well at all for the previous couple weeks so Husband went to bed without me and I relaxed on the couch to watch some tv. At about 11:00PM I feel a gush between my legs and slowly sat up. I was glad I put on some thick pajama pants that night for it soaked up most of the liquid while I wobbled to the kitchen to avoid ruining the carpet. It was also convenient that we had just been gifted a new couch that day, luckily it's leather so it was safe. While in the kitchen I felt another warm gush and yellow liquid dripped on the floor. I knew this wasn't a good sign for it should have been a clear liquid. I feared she had meconium in her amniotic fluid (aka she pooped in the womb) and I knew that could cause potential problems if she aspirated it. So I yelled for my husband to grab me a towel, he didn't hear, but I luckily found one not far from the kitchen. I then made my way to the bathroom. I sat down to pee and more of the cloudy yellow tinged liquid came out. I called for the Husband again. He didn't hear me. So I wrapped a towel around my crotch and marched to the bedroom, flipped on the lights, and finally he woke up. I announced that my water broke and he mumbled something in his groggy state and slowly woke up. He didn't think we would be in any rush considering we were told not to go in until contractions were 3 minutes apart, but the fact that my water wasn't clear had me worried so he called the hospital and they told us to head in. 
Once there, I got hooked up to the monitors. Baby was stable and sounded great, I was still 2.5cm dilated, and my water did in fact break. My pain at this point was about a 1/10. I still just felt the occasional "period cramp." I sat in triage for about 30min while I waited for a delivery room upstairs to be ready for me. 
Once in the delivery room I was about a 2/10 on the pain scale because  was not starting to feel it in my back. I got hooked up to an IV and was started on a low dose of pitocin to get things moving (once the water breaks they like for you to deliver within 24 hours to avoid infection). They also started me on IV antibiotics because I was GBS positive. I was a total wuss while they hooked up my IV. I freaking hate being poked with needles and my IV was given on the top side of my forearm. It hurt like a bitch but I would soon find out that was nothing compared to what was coming. 
With each hour my contractions got worse and worse. They were almost completely in my lower back and toward the end moved to my front lower abdomen. The pain I felt is honestly indescribable and now four days later it's a bit hard to remember what it felt like. I breathed slow and deep through each one, squeezed my Husband's hand, and I'll admit I moaned and groaned through them too. May have dropped a few cuss words as well but it hurt damn it! I was so grateful to have Jake there with me. He was such a great coach. He told me I was doing good, said he was proud of me, reassured me that I could do it. It helped a lot to get a bit of a pep talk! Around 6:30AM I was finally checked again by a Doctor and I was 5cm. I originally didn't want to have any drugs but I decided to get a few injections of a pain killer which was supposed to take the edge off but really didn't do much but make me a little loopy. Once I found out I was 5cm I got weak and asked for an epidural. It took the anesthesiologist about 20min to get there, he hooked me up and immediately after laying back down I had another contraction and my body started pushing uncontrollably. I alerted the nurse that I had to push. She checked me and in a matter of 30min I was already 10cm dilated and ready to get this baby out.  
The feeling I had was like I was pushing out a poop. I didn't have any control of it either, my body just decided to push on it's own and it was a very strange feeling. I still wasn't feeling the epidural kick in. My nurse quickly got the team together, called in the Doctor, propped up my legs, checked me and she could already feel her head in the canal. I could feel every contraction, I could still feel and move my legs, and I could feel her dropping down inside me. I should not have felt any of that with the epidural. I was only supposed to feel some "pressure." I pushed for 30min and my daughter came out and was placed on my chest at 7:39AM. She was perfect in every way possible and I immediately started crying (damn hormones). I forgot about everything for about 2 seconds until my Doctor started pulling out the placenta. That was a WEIRD feeling. I had a tiny second degree tear that she closed up with one stitch but I can assure you that that one stitch hurt like hell when you can still feel everything down there. Then they go through the uncomfortable task of pushing on your belly to expel some blood and other liquids and check for abnormal bleeding. Turns out I was fine and everyone cleared out pretty quickly after that. The pain stopped right away. There were no more contractions and I was once again distracted from everything else by my adorable naked baby resting on me. We were surprised to see she had so much hair already! I cried a lot as I held her. I cried when Jake was holding her. I felt like I would never be able to stop crying. It was quite ridiculous. 
In total I was in labor for about 8 hours and only pushed for 30min. I was told by everyone that labor usually lasts A LOT longer for first time moms! I got blessed with a perfect pregnancy and I was blessed again with a smooth, quick labor. Now that I know what to expect I know I can handle it again, just not anytime soon!!! 
Now, time for some adorable pictures. 


  1. She is so beautiful! Congratulations!!!

  2. So glad you have a smooth labor for the most part! She is just gorgeous :)

  3. Congratulations! She's beautiful!

  4. Congratulations! She is beautiful! I am so glad to hear things went well!

  5. Congrats!!! I totally missed this when you posted it the first time.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...