Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Let the FUN of school begin

I just took my last section test for my dog training certification! Woo Hoo! So excited to be done with the book portion of my classes. I learned a lot but I would much rather learn hands on! So in a week I get to start my internship. I am so stoked about it because I will be working at a PIT BULL RESCUE! I love Pits, I love rescues, and I love obedience training. I just love it all so of course I am going to have the time of my life for the next couple months helping doggies! I have a final to take after my internship but I'm not worried about that. I've aced every single test so I know I'm golden.
 I also have to do 10 hours of volunteer work at a shelter teaching obedience to help their chances on getting adopted. I am going to try and complete these hours at my current job. Only tricky part is we already have professional trainers working there and we aren't allowed to teach the dogs any obedience because we may do it differently than them which could confuse the dog. But the trainers only work with the behavioral ones so I am hoping I can just be assigned a couple of the dogs they won't work with. I'll have to talk to my boss about it but they all love me there so it shouldn't be an issue. 
I am very excited to be done with this certificated so I can someday, after baby is older, get a job at a shelter helping rehabilitate dogs. That's what I want to do with my life and I'm not going to keep putting my dreams on hold. Too many people do that and too many people give them up and I'm not going to be one of those people. I know I was put on this earth to help animals and save them and that's just what I intend to do! 
In the meantime I'm going to work hard on my last remaining months at school, soak up all the information I can and practice practice practice! I've already taught my dog Aida a butt load of tricks but she can always learn more complex ones! So far she knows sit, down, stay, wave, shake, "wait", and roll over. Next I want to work on "Bang Bang" and more manners. Like not freaking out every time I pick up her leash and waiting patiently and calm/submissive before getting in the car. This dog is a terror in the car. Not because she doesn't like it but because cars rides mean we are going somewhere fun like the park or beach. I also need to work on things with the Chihuahuas but they aren't as eager to learn! 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are doing something you enjoy. Not to mention something that helps so many others too. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy for pits!! I'm so excited for you!! I hope it goes fantastic! I have one that could use some training over here if you're desperate for volunteer hours.. (:

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...