Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Heartbeat

Yesterday I had my second Dr. Appointment. It was an exciting one because we got to hear the baby's heartbeat. At first my Doctor couldn't find it and I was getting a little nervous but then the sweet sound blared out of the monitor and it was a relief. Jake got a recording of it on his phone and posted it to facbeook with the caption "Got to hear my child's heartbeat today. "Pretty much the best day I've had in awhile." It was adorable. I love how supportive, involved, and excited he is. He is more than I am but it's cute. 
After that appointment I had to go get 6 vials of blood drawn and I cannot explain the nerves I had from that experience. The last time I had blood drawn was when I was in Kindergarten and in the hospital to have my appendix out. That experience must have traumatized me because the anxiety I felt about having a needle in my vein scared the shit out of me. Turns out it was nothing and I barely felt it. So now I know for the many other blood draws to come that I have nothing to worry about. This was the last appointment Jake will be at with me for the next 3 months since he will be going away to school for that time. I love having him there at the appointments with me and he is going to miss the one where we find out the gender but I'm grateful he will be around for the birth at least! 
This whole experience still feels so surreal. I still don't 100% believe that I'm pregnant. I have no symptoms. I haven't gained any weight. I'm not showing. I just feel like my normal self which is a good thing considering some of the horrible symptoms many women get. 
Maybe I should have taken the advice from the Gym teacher in Mean Girls. 

5 comments:

  1. Yay that you don't have symptoms! Because it definitely feels like you're going to die at times.
    I'm still the biggest baby about needles. And I've had 11 piercings!
    I'm glad that everything went well and you got to hear that heart beat! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting to hear your baby's heartbeat for the first time! And that's awesome that you're not having any symptoms. I didn't have any with my first two kids, but I had nauseousness with Evelyn. And blood draws - ugh! I had to have my blood drawn every week for three months when I had a miscarriage before I got pregnant with Evelyn. I'm already a hard draw, but pair that with a cold hospital, and my veins go into hiding. I don't quite understand why they don't keep lab rooms warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure a week before your due date, you'll long for the days when you don't look prego. Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me smile! Thank goodness you don't have any symptoms! Don't worry about weight gain...it'll happen! Ah! Yay for hearing baby's heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I didn't have many symptoms during the beginning either, and I totally understand what you mean by it making it more "surreal." I was expecting the full-on paralyzing morning sickness and stuff, and without it I really needed those ultrasound pictures to remind myself that yes, this was really happening :) And even now, 7+ months in, there are still surreal moments, but trust me, it'll get real very quickly, and it's great :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...