Monday, January 27, 2014

Dating

I've recently began watching the whole Sex and the City series from start to finish because I was such a big fan of the movies and the occasional episode I saw on TV. I have to say that I am in love with the show and I think it touches on so many important issues and topics related to women. It touches on the good, bad, and ugly of relationships and dating. Watching these women date man after man makes me think of my own dating past. I've never had to "date" anyone before and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. 
I've been in two serious relationships in my life. My first started my Senior year of High School and lasted for three years well into my college years. My second started a couple months after that break up and is my now Husband. I have never had to go out and actively seek a date before. Both guys I've been with were sort of handed to me...or just happened? 
My first was the best friend of my friend's boyfriend so they introduced us and we met for the first time at my school's homecoming game. We double dated with our friends all the time and stayed together for 3 years which is pretty good for only being 17 when you meet. My now Husband was a friend from my freshman year of High School. We lost touch for 6 years after he joined the Military and our relationship started over one small Facebook message. 
Never have I gone out to a bar or museum looking for a man to keep me company. Never have I joined a dating site or placed a personal ad somewhere. The longest I have been single in the last 5 years was for 2 months and during that time I wasn't even thinking about having a boyfriend. I was just focusing on me. Before I was 17, with my first real boyfriend, I never cared about having one because I was having a blast being a kid and hanging with my girlfriends. It's just weird to think of myself in the dating world. I seriously think I would still be single because I'm so shy and it's hard for me to warm up to people and be myself. 
In a way I am glad I never had to date because there are a lot of shallow asshole men in the world and I would have to deal with that and the feeling of being rejected and lonely. I would get discouraged when things didn't work out and I don't like feeling that way. On the other hand, it would have been fun to meet new people, learn about them, and have more experience. 
What does everyone else think about dating? Sick of it, scared of it, glad you never had to worry about it? 

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it kind of scary to think about? My best friend is having such a hard time finding a decent guy. I had 3 serious boyfriends prior to hubster, and they were all pretty much back to back. I have no idea what I'd be doing if I wasn't married right now. I hate bars and all of those typical places people go to pick up men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit scary! I mean I could still be out in the dating world trying to find "the one." I think II was very lucky to have found my husband so young and easily because he is perfect for me and I don't think I could find anyone better. =]

      Delete
  2. I love Sex and the City. I am also relieved that I never really had to go out and search for a date! All my serious relationships just sort of happened and fell in my lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It's pretty convenient when they just "happen." Oh and Sex and the City is an amazing show I only have 5 more episodes of the series to watch and I'm putting it off cause I don't want it to be over!

      Delete
  3. I think dating is important, but I'm talking about dating the person you actually find...not just mindless dating. I never really went out looking for dates. I was lucky enough to find my husband online, too! I've had two serious relationships in my life. I got engaged to the first, and I managed to break it off when I realized how abusive the relationship was, then I met Ryan. It worked for us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah dating your spouse/significant other is such an important thing! I love doing that. I'm so glad you were smart enough to get away from an abusive relationship when you could. You deserve the best and it seems like Ryan is the best for you!

      Delete
  4. I'm married now, but I actually liked going out and dating and meeting different guys. I think it helped me determine what I liked, what I didn't , and how to deal with different types of people. I started dating when I was 15 and met my husband when I was 23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see how dating can help you figure out which guys/personalities would be best for you. That would be one great positive!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...