Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Military Adventure

I feel like so many "Military Wives" only focus on the bad about having a SO serving. They work a lot, they deploy, etc. Those are all very hard things to deal with but I like to focus on the good. Today while I was at work I got to thinking about the place I currently live which is California. Today it's overcast, it's cold, and it's been on and off drizzling rain. This weather EXCITED me! I miss the rain and the thunderstorms that we used to get in MN. I miss hearing the rain hit the roof and run down the gutters. I miss thunder and lightening putting me to sleep. I miss running in the rain and jumping through puddles. California doesn't get this weather often. In fact this is the first time it has really rained since I got here five months ago. Most people wouldn't complain about the beautiful sunny weather here but I do.
 I miss home and I miss Minnesota. I tend to get stuck in this rut of missing things and I lose sight of just how beautiful it is to be here in CA. I would have never had the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful state and all it has to offer if my Husband were not in the Military.
 The longer I think about it the more I realize that I really love this state. I would never have taken a vacation here or let alone lived here. I know a lot of people don't like Military Life because of all the moves, but I am excited about it! I have been able to see and experience some awesome things here that I never would have been able to do back home. I have met some great people and I have an amazing job because of moving here too! I never thought I would be able to handle living in a city of millions of people since I grew up in a town on 2,000 but I'm doing it. What's not fun about being able to move to a new place and experience new things every 3-5 years (or so). Life is one big adventure and the Military Lifestyle takes the credit for that!
I don't want this post to come across as me, a dependent, taking advantage of my Husband's work or the government or the "perks" we get. I hope this doesn't give off that vibe. I just wanted to share how I turn a negative into a positive and how traveling and living new places can be very exciting and beneficial! 
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you Miranda! I was lucky to be a military brat, so I've lived in multiple countries and several states too - and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The past 9 years I've lived in NYC and now, my husband and I are going to PCS to Virginia - and I would have NEVER picked that place! I'm excited and looking forward to a new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a struggle for me to wrap my head around not living in NY someday, I mean I always have and I always want to come back here, but moving in general is just such an odd idea for me. But then I look at the situation and say, well when are we gong to get to do this again, by ourselves without kids or something else directing our decisions, and it makes it a lot easier to go with the flow. It's temporary,it won't be forever, and it'll just make you that much more grateful for your hometown/state! :) I'm looking forward to where the military has to take us! Glad the three of us are on the same page...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally appreciate moving around. We've lived in California, Hawaii, Florida and now Maryland. I've thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities that we've been afforded because of the military. It is true that lots of people do a whole lot if complaining! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I often get really worried about when John will have to move to somewhere else, but as long as I can go with him I'm sure it will be a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...