Friday, October 4, 2013

I WANT A PUPPY!

Working at an Animal Shelter is amazing and very rewarding. The only issue I have is that I WANT TO BRING HOME EVERY CUTE DOG AND PUPPY THAT I SEE! The shelter I work at always has the cutest dogs and puppies and we always have Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes. I am in love with that breed. For those who have never had one or been around one in a home environment do not stereotype! Chihuahuas are the most loyal, protective, silly, entertaining, adorable, cuddly, love bugs of any dog I've known. I got my first Chihuahua six years ago when I was working at a Veterinary Clinic. A one year old underfed Chihuahua was impounded because she was walking around town alone in the dead of winter and tried getting into the local bar to warm up. We kept her for the state regulated 7 days, tried to find her owners but NO ONE even tried looking for her. During this time I got to know her and I fell in love. I ended up taking her home instead of sending her to the shelter and she was the best dog I have ever had. She never barked, she loved everyone and every other animal (especially cats). She is an amazing dog. We named her Leila and five years later she is still back home in MN living with my parents and siblings. 
About two years after getting Leila, I felt the need for another Chihuahua to keep her company (since our other dog Aida wanted nothing to do with her). So we got Penny off craigslist..I know it's really bad to buy from breeders...especially breeders who just have puppies because they neglect to fix their dogs due to money problems or because they just don't care. I will never buy from a breeder again! All my future dogs will be ADOPTED. But I got Penny and I am so glad I did because she is just a happy silly little girl. She is a lot different than Leila. Penny is more barky and VERY protective of me. She likes to chase around other dogs to assert her dominance and if a stranger walks into our house she makes them known they are not welcome...but I love her dearly. 
When my Husband and I first got together he was very anti small dogs especially Chihuahuas. But now...I think these pictures speak louder than words. Let's just say living with a small dog and really getting to know their personality changed his mind! 

Back to the topic at hand. I REALLY WANT A PUPPY! But I can't. Why? Because Military housing only allows two and I have already reached my limit. I miss having three dogs. I loved having three! I miss having two Chihuahuas. Penny is so lonely without her sister to cuddle. Here are a few puppies that I have fallen in love with at work. It's sad that I can't take them home and some of them have already found homes but breaks my heart knowing that I could have given them a great home too!

5 comments:

  1. Could you foster dogs through the animal shelter? I'm not sure what housing's policy is on that but that could be a way to get your puppy fix! :) I did that when I was volunteering at a shelter here but we only had one dog of our own so I never thought of having to ask housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I could foster! I should check with housing on that. It would probably be really hard to bring one into my house then have to get rid of it though. But it would be worth it to give a dog a temporary home and some love and happiness.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, if I worked at an animal shelter I would take almost every doggy home :)

    Also your husband with your chihuahuas.... ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg your doggies are soooo incredibly adorable. At first, we were going to get small dogs, but ended up with a 35-40 lb dog, then a 65-70 lb dog. HAHA! I never could work at an animal shelter. I would probably bring as many as I could home with me and cry daily for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like big dogs too and would like to have one someday. Working there is really hard and emotional!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...