Thursday, October 10, 2013

Health and Fitness

I've never been one to blog about anything health or fitness related. Mostly because I never used to eat healthy or work out to be perfectly honest. Lately, I have been really unhappy with my body and that has been affecting my relationship with my husband in a few ways. He has some insecurities with his own body too and really he and I just want to be healthier and tone up. So we have started a slow carb diet again. We were on it before about a month ago and I ended up losing 8 pounds and Jake lost about 5. We would have stayed on it but this diet is very drab and you don't get to eat a lot of good food. You basically overload on protein and cut out carbs. Our meals consist of some kind of meat, beans, and a veggie. Jake usually eats a lot of eggs but I hate eggs so that's not an option for me. No fruit, no bread, no dairy. The only thing that keeps us sane is Saturdays (you can pick any day) is cheat day. You can eat whatever you want and as much as you want. Even if you want to eat until you are sick. I know sounds weird but it works I have 8 pounds down proving so. We got this whole diet plan from the book The 4 Hour Body. It has a lot of helpful heath tips in there. Diet, exercise, ways to improve sex drive, etc. I am hoping that we will be able to stick with the diet this time until we can reach our goals. 
We have also joined the YMCA and have been working out about 5 nights a week. We do 15-20 minutes of cardio at the beginning (bike, running, elliptical), then spend the rest of the time weight lifting. I have never weight lifted before and I have NO upper body strength whatsoever so at first it was really hard for me and I felt down on myself because I always had to use such a low weight. Jake helps me feel better about it and he always pushes me to try as much weight as I can and I am thankful for that. Last night we took our first yoga class and it was so much fun! We both really enjoyed it. It did open my eyes to the fact that I have to work on my balance though!  Yoga is hard. Most people think "Oh you just lay around and breath and relax." WRONG. It worked muscles I have never worked before and I am feeling it today. 
Overall, I am just happy to be doing something to better myself and I am happy that Jake is so supportive and willing to do it with me. I wouldn't be able to do it without his help and motivation. 

3 comments:

  1. Slow carb sounds like an awesome idea! I've been having a tough time accepting that my body is adjusting to this injury - so ready to work out again someday! Keep us posted on your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to have a support system like Jake. . . . plus its so much nicer to be able to workout together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No carb diets suck. I will NEVER completely cut out carbs or have cheat days because they are not realistic. I applaud you for trying to make healthy decisions, but the healthiest option is to just limit your carbs, dairy, and processed foods. Fruit is GOOD for you, so even though you should limit it {it's still sugar}, you don't have to cut it out. If you want lasting results you have to make lifestyle changes. "Diets" help you lose weight, but typically you gain it all back when you return to normal eating habits. I could go on for years about this, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear it, haha. Good luck with your overall goals!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...