Monday, September 9, 2013

Fishies!

About a month ago the Husband and I went out and got a pet fish. We are not experienced fish owners so we started easy, with a Betta. Since Bettas are notorious for being jerks and fighting a lot we named ours Joffrey after the evil king on Game of Thrones. We thought it was fitting for the breed. Except, we love our Joffrey he's a pretty cool fish! We got him about a month ago and we are seriously surprised that he is still alive. We didn't have our hopes up that he would live long. He was really small when we got him and his fins weren't big and beautiful at the time. He actually looked kind of sickly and we got him cheap at walmart so we assumed he wasn't the pick of the litter. However, now nearly a month later is is doing so good and his fins are big and beautiful and he's a really neat looking fish. Not to mention his sister Aida loves him too and finds him very intriguing!

Then, a coupls weeks ago we were at Petsmart and we got the urge to get more fish. The Husband has always wanted a big fish tank. I do not like fish at all and it was pretty nice of me to agree on a Betta. However, Joffrey actually made me like pet fish a little bit more and Petsmart has some pretty awesome looking fish as well. We ended up leaving with a 10 gallon tank starter kit, a water heater, and some decorations. We had to let the tank sit for about a week so the chemicals could balance out the water and to the heater could get it to the right temperature. So this weekend we went and got three male Fancy Guppies. We started out with three just to be sure they would do well in our tank without dying right away. They are doing pretty good! We have only named one of the new fish yet, which is Captain Jack Harkness. The other two we are still trying to find the right names for. They will all be named after Doctor Who Characters! 

11 comments:

  1. I really like Betta fish. My sister and I both had one as kids. Love the name! Ha.

    They big fish tank looks good so far! :) I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures when you have a tank full of pretty fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to get more fish in there. Bigger fish too!

      Delete
  2. I've kept bettas for a while. Everyone thinks they're a breeze, but I assure you, they can get tricky. Just keep the tank extra clean and warm and they should be a-ok! And way to upgrade to a giant tank in no time flat! That husband must be pretty persuasive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We change out the water every few days because it gets gross fast and we make sure it's always room temperature. The Husband is very persuasive. Almost too much for his own good! hehe

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your growing family! Can't wait to see more fishies added!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a 5 gallon fish tank when I was at school. It was so peaceful watching our 3 tetras swim around. Its always interesting to hear what people name their fish. My roommates and I had weird names for our fish : Jack the Ripper, Vector, and A. Fish (short for Awkward Fish). Glad your fishy family is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are awesome names! I feel like fish are a good pet to add strange names too. It's slightly more acceptable then naming a cat or dog strange names!

      Delete
  5. The first one I bought only lasted a month. But he was doomed from the get go. I've been wanting another one, but since we move soon, I'm trying my hardest to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like when one of mine dies I will be the type of person to want to go get a replacement immediately. They are kind of fun to watch and take care of!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...