Monday, September 16, 2013

DIY Dog Silhouette Art


While browsing through Pinterest I came across this awesome craft that I new I had to try. You can see the original post HERE. While the tutorial I found did work really well for her, I decided to do it differently. It wound up being a lot cheaper and just as easy. The original instructions required the use of both Full Page Shipping Labels and Contact Paper...I did my research on these and it would have been $25-$30 just for those supplies not including the paint or the canvas. So my husband and I took a much simpler route. Instead we used Ad Tech Crafter's Tape which only cost us $3 at Walmart and worked perfectly!  We went to Michaels for our Canvas because they had a buy one get one free sale and I had a 40% off coupon. So we ended up leaving with two 16" by 20" Canvases for approximately $8. We also picked up paint and brushes which totaled about $6. Just keep in mind we did this craft for roughly $15. 
DIY Dog Silhouette Art
Step 1: Have a doggie photo shoot. It took us about 20 minutes to get decent side shots of the dogs. 
As you can see it was a little difficult because they couldn't stay still for long. This is Aida and she has a fast tail! We ended up just drawing on her tail. I seemed to have lost the picture I used of the other little one. When I find it I will add it here! 
Step 2: Hop on the computer, upload your pictures, and download the photo editing software Picasa. Upload the picture(s) you would like to use and crop it as close as you can to your pet's body. You then click the "Create" tab on the top upper left hand side. Then click "Make a Poster." A little box pops up and says “Poster Size” and “Paper Size” and I entered “200%” for poster size and 8.5 x 11 for paper size and left everything else alone (do not click box to overlap tiles) and then I clicked “ok”.  The program automatically configured my pictures into four separate photos (full size photos) of each quadrant of my photo, which when printed and placed together make the larger poster size of the picture. My four larger quadrant full size photos magically appeared at the top of the page where you can see thumbnails of previous photos. Go right to left for all four photos and click each one and print out full size sheet of each photo onto 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of regular printer paper! 
Step 3: Take your four individual printed sections of your picture and tape them together. I used masking tape on the back. Then carefully cut out your pet. 
My dog was confused by the life sized cutout of herself. She legitly thought it was a real dog. My dogs are weird I tell ya. 
Step 4: Apply the Crafter's Tape around the edges of your cutout only. This tape won't stick very strongly to the canvas, just enough to keep it secure enough for you to paint around. I have also been told Rubber Cement works well too!
Step 5: Paint around your cutout. My Husband and I just used Acrylic paint and brushed it on. The tutorial I read used spray paint which seems to give a more even look than using the Acrylic. My Husband liked the brush stroke look though so we went with the brushed on paint. 
Step 6: Using a tweezers pull the cutout of your dog off to reveal a white Silhouette of your pet! The edges were a little rough on ours so we went over the edges with some white paint to smooth it out and make it look nicer. 
The Finished Product! 
Complete with very beautiful models!

4 comments:

  1. Those are so cute, and they turned out so well!! I've been wanting to do similar projects of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I've been wanting to do this with my pup! Thanks for sharing!

    XOXO
    Chelsea
    http://anchorsaweigh-ouradventure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I will have to do this with my dogs. Pinning :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! My sister would love one of these! I also love your nail polish storage. So cool! Thanks for sharing! :) Dawn @ www.730moments.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...