Monday, July 22, 2013

Work! (Military Monday)


Today I'm linking up with Eights on the Move and other MilSO bloggers and sharing about the topic of work and how it fits into the Military lifestyle. 

This MM's topic is WORK
Before moving out to California to be with my husband I was working full time, going to school full time and living semi-independently. I have been working since I was 14 years old. Steady jobs ever since. I started out as a busser at a local restaurant. I did that for about a year then I began working at Veterinary Clinic in my home town as a Vet Assistant for 4.5 years. As I prepared to move closer to where I went to school I then switched jobs and began a Direct Support Staff member at a group home caring for 4 women with mental disabilities for 1.5 years. Up until my move this is where I worked. Now, I am jobless and I graduated college in May so I don't have that any more. 
When it comes to finding work I use job boards both public and the ones the Military Base offers. I didn't find anything that I qualified for while searching the Military job boards though. It was all positions that needed Masters Degrees, which I don't have, or they were completely unrelated to my field or my interests. Not to mention there were only about ten listings on there. I didn't find it very helpful at all! I have been going on interviews and applying everywhere I am qualified for but after two months I still haven't found anything...until today. 
I had an interview this morning at an animal shelter as a kennel assistant. I take care of the animals, clean, and help adopters find a pet that is a perfect fit for their family. The interview went great and I believe it is a job I will really excel at. I have a job shadow tomorrow so I can get a better taste of what I would be doing and if that goes well I will most likely be employed! I was warned that at the beginning the hours stink because it's more of a trial period. So they vary from 20-25 hours a week, but I will get more as time goes on. Right now we are very stable money wise so I don't need this job to live, but the extra money will be nice, having something to do will be nice, and I want to be semi independent so my husband can have some extra spending money for himself too since he handles all the bills. I am hoping this job will be able to be full time someday so I can contribute even more to our finances. I really love working and not being able to has been killing me! I really hope I get this job! Fingers crossed!

15 comments:

  1. Hope you get the job Miranda!

    Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Hope you get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa what a crazy coincidence - thanks so much for linking up! I'm so excited for you & hope the opportunity becomes a wonderful job for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I hope you're able to get the job and it's one that you like! :)

    p.s. you're e-mail is no-reply...do you need help changing that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck!! I'm finishing up my master's, so maybe that will help me find work with my military man once I graduate. It's really tough to find employment as a MILSO. I hope this opportunity works out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome that you are getting your Master's! That was originally my plan but I lost passion for what I went to school for so I'm thinking of changing. I didn't think it would be so hard to find work! I've never had such a struggle before.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the job!! I was thinking about volunteering at our animal shelter just to get out of the house since I stay home with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good idea! I know a lot of them could really use the help!

      Delete
  7. Good luck! Hope it goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I've also been working since I was 14 - I'm now 52 and still working away. I think it was good for me and made me a more mature and responsible person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's good to learn independence and how to manage money at a young age. I come from a family who works hard for what they have and I've inherited the same philosophy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...